Yuantan Creek Ecological Park
There are three waterfalls, Yuantan, Xiangshan, and Xinhu in the park with rich ecology.
The roads are flat in the park, suitable for all visitors.
Public parking and a visitor center are available.
There is a ditch next to County Highway 166. Grass grow in the ditch against the hill. With the occasional puddles, a dark and humid environment becomes a natural habitat for frogs. In the Yuantan Creek ecological zone, the waterside environment also attracts frogs. On summer nights, there is nonstop croaking of frogs. The land through which Yuantan Creek flows is formed by the interbedding of sandstone and shale. The many joints in the rock led to the formation of layers of waterfalls, potholes, tall cliffs, narrow valleys, and steep slopes, making it a perfect site for observing medium-altitude valley landscape. Besides, the high-humidity environment benefits the growth of parasitic plants and epiphytes. The commonly seen trees include, large-leaved Nammu, spice-leaf tree, Formosan Turpinia, flying moth tree, Chinese hackberry, poison peach, and dark-spotted cherry tree. Epiphytes include bird’s nest fern and rock ginger fern. Notably, the water and humidity not only benefit organic organisms but also the rock besides the creek and cliffs next to the waterfall. A small biological chain is formed. From the changes of landscape, water cutting through mountains forming valley, humidity-prone plants grouping, insects feeding on plants becoming the food of birds, plus the water ecology including planktons, fish, shrimps, crabs, and amphibians, forming a extraordinarily rich ecosystem.
Opening Hours: Sunday:08:30 – 17:00
Monday:08:30 – 17:00
Tuesday:08:30 – 17:00
Wednesday:08:30 – 17:00
Thursday:08:30 – 17:00
Friday:08:30 – 17:00
Saturday:08:30 – 17:00
- Viewing Deck
2. Possible to connect to Rui-Tai Historic Road.
How to Get ThereChoose a transportation method based on your departure location.
1. Minxiong Interchange of National Highway 1 -> Minxiong Outer Expressway -> Sec. 2, Zhengda Road -> County Highway 166 -> Zhuqi -> 71.5-km marker of County Highway 166 -> Yuantan Visitor Center
2. Zhuqi Interchange of National Highway 3 -> County Highway 166 towards Zhuqi -> Zhuqi -> 71.5-km marker of County Highway 166 -> Yuantan Visitor Center
1. Take Bus 7315 from Chiayi Railway Station and get off at Yuntan Waterfall. Walk up for about 7 minutes and you will arrive.
2. Take Bus 7315 from Chiayi Railway Station and get off at Ruili Villa. Walk down for about 7 minutes and you will arrive.